Antonín Dvořák Society
Antonín Dvořák Society was established in 1931 under the
name of the Society for the Building of Antonín Dvořák
Monument in Prague, prompted by the American Czech Josef
Jan Kovařík, Dvořák´s secretary and friend in the USA.
Among the co-founders were also members of Dvořák´s family,
the composers Josef Suk and Vítězslav Novák, the painter Hugo
Boettinger and the Dvorakian researcher Otakar Šourek.
In the following year the Museum of Antonín Dvořák was opened
and the Antonín Dvořák Society administered it until its nationalization
in 1956. The Society also supported the diffusion of knowledge of the
composer´s life and work. In the post-war times the Society partook
in the summary edition of his compositions, in the opening of Antonín
Dvořák Memorial in Nelahozeves as well as memorial halls in other
places connected with the Maestro´s life and work (Sychrov, Zlonice).
In the 1980s under political pressure the Society was forced to
change its scope of activities and temporarily became a guild within
the Czech Music Society. After the fall of communism in 1989 the
Society restored its standing and a wide range of activities.
In 2000 it finally managed to have the Dvořák monument erected
in front of the Rudolfinum in Prague.
Antonín Dvořák Society has collaborated closely with many cultural
and music institutions, especially with the Museum of Antonín Dvořák
and strives for a universal support of the composer´s personal and
artistic legacy at home and world-wide. The chairman of the
Society is the conductor Prof. Radomil Eliška.
Muzeum Antonína Dvořáka
Ke Karlovu 20, 120 00 Prague 2
tel./fax: +420 224 923 363